aaschmid wrote

> Radim Kubacki wrote
>>> 2. Furthermore, I want to configure the "eclipse.wtp.facet" on my "jar"
>>> project but I need to use "gradle.projectsEvaluated" (see also my
>>> comment:
>>>
>>> http://forums.gradle.org/gradle/topics/wtp_elipse_requires_ear_or_war_i_need_wtp_to_build_ejb_modules_but_i_dont_want_an_ear_artifact#reply_14825115
>>> ).
>>> This is required because in
>>> "org.gradle.plugins.ide.eclipse.EclipseWtpPlugin" all the configuration
>>> is done in "doLaterWithEachDependedUponEclipseProject(Project)". I have
>>> tried to remove the "project.gradle.projectsEvaluated" closure but has
>>> not helped. Even worse, this causes the "eclipse.wtp.facet" to be not
>>> configurated at all :-(
>>>
>>> I have also tried to add a configuration for "JavaPlugin" not just
>>> "WarPlugin" and "EarPlugin" but this causes the complete
>>> "EclipseWtpPlugin" to break down for "war"s (IMHO due to "WarPlugin"
>>> also applies "JavaPlugin" and the ".withType" is always executed first
>>> for "JavaPlugin", not for "WarPlugin" if available).
>>>

>>> I am really curious to get further information about this. Also I would
>>> be interessted in helping with the "Improved Tooling & IDE support" on
>>> the roadmap.
>>>

>> We are at the point where we need to re-evaluate current integration and
>> feedback like this definitely helps us better see what are common use
>> cases.
> What do you mean with that?
>
> And can you answer the above question, how I could get rid of the
> "gradle.projectsEvaluated" surrounding the "eclipse.wtp..." configuration
> for my war-depended subprojects?
> How can I help you understanding this problem, or is there the possibility
> to have a call using screen sharing etc.?

As there is still no answer on the above question, I have re-thought a lot
about it and my conclusion are the following:

I think to move the configuration of "war" dependent "java" projects from
/on demand/ (as it is now) to /always/ would solve a lot of problems. This
means that the "eclipse-wtp" tasks and defaults of all the "war" and "ear"
dependent "jars" are no longer configured after their corresponding "wars"
and "ears" in a <code>gradle.projectsEvaluated</code> block. Instead
configure the "eclipse-wtp" tasks and defaults for every "jar" or
respecively "java" project to which it is applied immediately.

The benefits which I can think of now are:
* All the "eclipse-wtp" configuration for either "jars", "wars" or "ears"
happens to the same time.
* Very much easier to understand and reconstruct what happens if you apply
an "eclipse-wtp" plugin to a "java" project.
** Always the same, explicit behavior when applying "eclipse-wtp", not
sometimes it has the "eclipse-wtp" artifacts and sometimes not because no
"war" depends the "jar".
** If you don't want the artifacts, just do not apply the "eclipse-wtp"
plugin and switch to "eclipse" plugin.
* It is very easy to configure/override defaults the "eclipse-wtp" for a
"java" project similar to "wars" and "ears".

What do you think about it?