I am +1 on improving how we handle formatting for lists and maps. My
default position would be -1 on an implementation that smells like it
might be "yet another hack" that we have to maintain long term. The
main reason being that we are trying to streamline method selection
for our revised MOP (I know not much is happening in that space right
now) and it would be nicer if once that is done, the "inconsistent"
results you mention could be handled in an easy to understand way.
Having said that, if I get time to look into it further and can't
think of a better way to approach it long term, then I could easily be
moved to at least a -0.

Cheers, Paul.