On 17.12.2017 23:23, Nathan Harvey wrote:
[...]
I am not familiar with the concept of static categories, can you explain the
difference between that and extension methods? I think we should clear up
the terminology.

the idea is basically to have what we have now for extension methods and categories, but reduce the scope to a lexical one. And for this there have been two ways thought of, where one way is something like an static import of the category methods (so there would be an import statement for them basically) and the other way is to change the use-command to be able to maximally reduce the scope. Of course this means there will be no service required. Thus it would not cause the problem you have imho.

My main focus with this post is removing the step of isolating extension
methods to a separate dependency, as this creates numerous problems. One
large one I haven't mentioned yet is the inability to test the methods
within the same project as they are declared, for example. Anyway there are
obviously a number of ways to achieve this.

Would you be fine with a class level annotation?

bye Jochen