Good point.
This is one reason why - under the given constraints - Russel's 2.99.x or my
2.97.x would be better choices than 2.9.x(once you get beyond "this is not how
things are done").

Also consider what happens if, for some reason, the current 2.5.x branch was to
continue beyond 2.5.x (without switching to 2.6.x === 3.0-- , i.e. without
breaking changes).Then you would have to skip 2.6.x , and go directly to 2.7.x,
which would be much more confusing...
The key sentence here is "under the given constraints". In a perfect,
clean-room-world we would not be having this discussion...

-------- Ursprüngliche Nachricht --------Von: Thibault Kruse
<tibokr...@googlemail.com> Datum: 22.05.18  06:31  (GMT+01:00) An:
dev@groovy.apache.org, pa...@asert.com.au Betreff: Re: [DISCUSS] Renumber
Groovy 2.6 to 2.9
If you go with 2.9 now, and for unforseeable reasons the 2.x branch
continues, you will have 2.6, 2.7, 2.8 and then the prematurely added
2.9.
What would you think about any other project versioning like that?
Even with a given explanation, it looks weird and chaotic.