Just assumed you were thinking of languages that are widely used... ;-)
(Algol type languages are generally not particularily syntax-compatible with C-style languages in my book).

My suggestion was aimed at not introducing a new syntax variety to Groovy, while at the same time being more concise and being able to grasp the return type first.

Cheers,
mg

PS: I first encountered the generics syntax used by Java when it was introduced in C++, and it never felt alien to me. What syntax would you have used to add type parameters to types, given that parameter sequences are seperated with colons and all other types of brackets were already taken ?-)