I think that despite what we engineers like to pretend, languages rise and
fall not much because of their features, but because of the platform they
allow you to program.

Groovy used to be bigger because it was pretty much the only dynamic
language to program on the JVM without going too far from Java. And at one
point because of Spring/VMWare. And maybe a bit because of Grails.

Kotlin is bigger today because of JetBrains and Android.

No cool new feature will make people switch from Kotlin to Groovy.

Bottom line: if we wish Groovy to succeed, let's create, maintain, support,
promote, and use tools that can be programmed/extended in Groovy.