I haven't read the whole thread, but I'll try some answers anyway.

J-D

> What do I mean by partitioning? - an option to state where the regions are
> split.

You can already do that, either at creation time or when doing a split
via the shell or HBA you can tell on which row it should try to split.

> This is a standard capability of databases and can be use for various
> things:
>
>   - Load balancing - I can split overloaded read/write region into two or
>   more regions.
>   - Retention - (say data sorted by time) I can delete old regions.
>
> Anther feature I think can be useful is region delete.
> It good especially to delete large amount of data that sorted together (e.g.
> delete old rows if the key has date)

You can already do it in a very expensive way, so I guess you more
talking about some sort of "bulk" delete where instead of issuing one
Delete per row you would the whole folder altogether right? And then
do the required .META. fixup... Doesn't sound too bad, and could be
part of online merging, please open a jira.