On 04/09/11 07:43, Mathias Herberts wrote:
On Sep 4, 2011 1:39 AM, "Bill de hÓra"<li...@dehora.net>  wrote:

On 02/09/11 19:06, Stack wrote:

What do folks think?

Not putting the log into hdfs seems like a good idea.

I was somehow thinking the opposite as it makes irrecoverable machine
failures much more problematic. What makes you say it's a good idea?

Allows more control over the write path, specifically sequential I/O and crash recovery. Granted the commit needs to be replicated, but you need that regardless. Thinking a bit more it might not square with the regionserver model anyway, plus the Accumulo proposal mentions a service rather than a local disk. The WAL seems to be hardened up these days anyway making things like https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-4107 more of an edge case..

Bill