Looks like the requirement from your company is that there be SQL interface
to HBase.
You can use Hive on top of HBase but the performance wouldn't be as good as
using (Java) clients directly. Also, that would mean you will be evaluating
two products instead of one.

Several companies are developing products which provide SQL interface to
HBase. Namely, Phoenix from Salesforce, Panthera from Intel and Wasp from
Taobao.

This area is quite active at the moment.