HBase is a key-value store with random CRUD semantics. In its current
form, is not designed to be used as a data warehouse, but rather as a
low-latency data store for real-time access to small parts of data. If
you look to be processing files mainly (whole ranges of them), you may
gain more performance with raw MapReduce via Pig/Hive with simple file
formats. Consider using HBase only if there is a good need of random
access to data as well.

To answer your question though, HBase is a simple, highly scalable
data store. It has its own Java APIs for manipulating table data,
which languages like Pig and Hive leverage to provide "storage
connectors" such that you can use them as a regular SQL table or a
data source. There is no hard-connection between the two.

To add to Ted's list, Impala from Cloudera
(https://github.com/cloudera/impala) supports real-time SQL queries
over HBase tables as well, and has improvements lined up for it. There
is also Drawn To Scale's Spire (http://drawntoscale.com/why-spire/)
thats in the same area as well.

--
Harsh J