Jon:
Merging option #3 looks attractive. Do you have estimate for how long trunk
should be frozen to other commits if we choose this approach ?

Is snapshot-work-0103 the latest branch for HBASE-7290 repo ?

I ran Test*Snapshot* tests from this branch and found one failed test:

testValidateGlobalSnapshotDescriptor(org.apache.hadoop.hbase.snapshot.TestSnapshotDescriptionUtils)
Time elapsed: 0.112 sec  <<< ERROR!
com.google.protobuf.UninitializedMessageException: Message missing required
fields: name
  at
com.google.protobuf.AbstractMessage$Builder.newUninitializedMessageException(AbstractMessage.java:605)
  at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.protobuf.generated.HBaseProtos$SnapshotDescription$Builder.build(HBaseProtos.java:11819)
  at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.snapshot.TestSnapshotDescriptionUtils.testValidateGlobalSnapshotDescriptor(TestSnapshotDescriptionUtils.java:108)

Cheers