Hi,
> It turns out that both Cloudera and Hortonworks have plans to backport
this to 0.94 in their respective distributions (I don't think that is a
secret, apologies if it was).
It seems true :). From my HWX hat, I can say that we are interested in
backporting snapshots into 0.94, and my apache hat says that if (at least)
two companies are interested in this, we should do it in an official apache
branch. Now, having said that, ideally we should not be putting new stuff
into 0.94, which is a stable branch. On Hadoop, since they are past 1.0,
they kind of solved this by adding new features in 1.1, 1.2, etc.

I propose either:
 a) doing an exception for 0.94, and doing the backport there. We can do
off by default.
 b) we can do a 0.95 which would basically be 0.94+snapshots.

a) has the advantage of being the easier to maintain one, but main drawback
would be to introduce possible destabilization and a major feature in the
middle of stable releases
b) has the advantage of being cleaner, but then we have to maintain 0.94,
0.95 and 0.96.

Enis