 From: Stack <st...@duboce.net>
To: HBase Dev List <dev@hbase.apache.org>; lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2013 9:19 PM
Subject: Re: Upcoming merge of snapshots branch into trunk. (HBASE-6055 and
HABSE-7290)

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 7:34 PM, lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org> wrote:

Eventually we should switch to semantic versioning (like Hadoop).

The -beta stuff?  Nah, at least in Hadoop, it has been arbitrarily applied (and
contended).  Lets not use Hadoop as an example.  We have some precedent for
linux-y odd is unstable, even is stable.  Lets hold to it I'd say.

It also depends on the timing of 0.96.
>The fact that two companies want to port this to 0.94 seems to indicate low
>confidence that we can ship a stable 0.96 soon.

I think it is more that 0.96.0 is a singularity.  Including 0.96 in a
downstreamer's bundle only makes sense when the vendor is moving to a new major
version.  These major versions happen on a less frequent cycle.   We just need
to make sure 0.96 is out and well-baked the next time these cycles come around.

St.Ack