Is this because we frob the Maven versions after rolling the source
tarball? See https://hbase.apache.org/book/releasing.html

Do 'mvn -DskipTests clean install' first, then something that pulls in
javadoc or site targets and you should be fine. My guess is you did that at
one point, then moved to a different box or somehow wiped out local 0.98.1
artifacts in your ~/.m2.

   - Andy

(via Tom White)