On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 11:30 AM, Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> From what I could see Joda time is ms not microseconds. Of course that was
> from a couple of years ago. Nothing pop’d out that their website itself.
>
> Again, when you start to get below the ms timestamp. You need to be a bit
> careful on relativity.

Even above the millisecond scale, you can't rely on wall clock measurements
directly either. For example, right now, my ntp-synchronized laptop is
estimating 3.1ms of error with a max error bound of 139ms. Anyone using the
timestamp component alone as a way to determine event ordering is already
fooling themself.

> What does that timestamp really mean?
>
> Lets walk through your example and then we can see why we’re talking past
> ourselves.
>
> Time really is relative.
>
> If you’re looking at sensor data, then its not a TS but the temporal data
> is an element of the record and not the metadata.

I think folks already answered this - in the use case at hand, it's not
actually a time measurement, but rather a number generated by a timestamp
oracle.

-Todd