​
HBase shipping a tgz containing Phoenix sounds backwards to me. It seems like
Hadoop project shipping a tgz with Hive included as a convenience.

I think the situation is different because Phoenix is a coprocessor
application, and as a project only produces coprocessor jars that require
an HBase distribution from somewhere else. A better analogy would be Pig
deciding to ship DataFu UDFs in a convenience artifact.

   - Andy

(via Tom White)