Hi,
I recently worked on improving region normalization feature.

If region split request triggered by the execution of
SplitNormalizationPlan fails, there is no way of knowing whether the failed
split originated from region normalization.
Such association would give RegionNormalizer information so that it can
make better normalization decisions in the subsequent invocations.

One enhancement I can think of is to embed metadata in SplitRequest which
gets passed through RegionStateTransitionContext when
RegionServerServices#reportRegionStateTransition() is called.
This way, RegionStateListener can be notified with the metadata (id of the
requester).

Comment is welcome.