The criteria we use for branches >= 1.0 I think addresses this concern.
Remember: For 0.98, each 0.98.x is a new _minor_ release. For each 1.1.x
each new release is a _patch_ release. So it's likely that features make it
in to 0.98, because - new minors; but unlikely features make it into 1.1.x,
because - only a patch release.

   - Andy

(via Tom White)