Sure thing, Ted.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VtLWDkB2tpwc_zgCNPE1ulZOeecF-YA2FYSK3TSs_bw/edit?usp=sharing

Let me open an umbrella issue for now. I can break up the work later.

Ted Yu wrote:
Josh:
Can you put the doc in google doc so that people can comment on it ?

Is there a JIRA opened for this work ?
Please open one if there is none.

Thanks

On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 9:00 AM, Josh Elser<els...@apache.org>  wrote:

Hi folks,

I'd like to propose the introduction of FileSystem quotas to HBase.

Here's a design doc[1] available which (hopefully) covers all of the
salient points of what I think an initial version of such a feature would
include.

tl;dr We can define quotas on tables and namespaces. Region size is
computed by RegionServers and sent to the Master. The Master inspects the
sizes of Regions, rolling up to table and namespace sizes. Defined quotas
in the quota table are evaluated given the computed sizes, and, for those
tables/namespaces violating the quota, RegionServers are informed to take
some action to limit any further filesystem growth by that table/namespace.

I'd encourage you to give the document a read -- I tried to cover as much
as I could without getting unnecessarily bogged down in implementation
details.

Feedback is, of course, welcomed. I'd like to start sketching out a
breakdown of the work (all writing and no programming makes Josh a sad
boy). I'm happy to field any/all questions. Thanks in advance.

- Josh

[1] http://home.apache.org/~elserj/hbase/FileSystemQuotasforApac
heHBase.pdf