On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 11:44 AM <tof...@ymail.com.invalid> wrote:

> > In the absence of more information, intuition says master carries meta
> to avoid a whole class of problems.
> Off-hand I think the class of problems we'll eliminate are problems that
> are well understood and being constantly dealt with and hardened to this
> day (ie puts to a region).
> > I think we have to evaluate whether the new pv2 master works with
> remote meta updates and the fact that those updates can fail partially or
> succeed without theI think failing meta updates need to be dealt with
> either way AFAIK eventually procedure state will be stored in HDFS which is
> also a distributed system.

I don't think these are really equivalent.  If you encounter a bad DN in
the write pipeline, you can construct a new write pipeline with a new set
of DNs.  If you encounter an error updating meta, which other copy of meta
do you try to write to?

Also, I don't really see Pv2 as being able to solve the whole reliability
problem here.  If it leads to more reliable region assignments that's
great.  But if a region is assigned, but clients can't see it because meta
can't be updated, I don't think that's a big improvement.  The region's
data is offline from the client perspective until it can actually see the
new region location.