I would like to see branch-1 be our new long term stable branch and so to be
maintained for roughly as long as 0.98 was: three years from first release
(1.0.0).

It would be maintained the same way as 0.98 was. I would like to drive monthly
releases but they would only be -SNAPSHOT and never advertised as an official
release. So to get actual shipping code I guess I'd have to bug the release RMs
(smile).

If the branch-1 RM felt like sweeping up changes and backporting for as long as
he/she likes that would be fine with me. If I were branch-1 RM I would do that
on a monthly basis. Only changes allowable on minor or point revisions
according to our compatibility guidelines would be allowed.

We don't have a release branch RM for 1.4. I would be happy to take on that
role too, but I think it premature given 1.3.0 isn't even out yet.