As branch-1 "RM" I don't need to be in the loop when a committer wants to
commit something there, and wouldn't have the bandwidth for it anyway. So
if someone wants to put something in branch-N.M, feel free to commit it to
master, then branch-N, then branch-N.M, as is our current workflow. If the
commit is bad and not dealt with in a timely manner it may be reverted from
both places (potentially by me). This is also not a change, except someone
is paying more attention to branch-1. I also agree that if we've reverted
something from branch-N then it has to be reverted from branch-N.M, and I
would expect the PMC to enforce this sanity. Likewise, if something has
been released on branch-N.M, then it cannot be reverted from branch-N. That
kind of inconsistency in commit lineage would make things unmanageable.

Th most likely case where the branch-N maintainer's judgement would come in
conflict with a committer's judgement and need resolution would be if a
commit is made that causes observed instability, or performance regression,
or is a (potentially, debatable) violation of compatibility guidelines, and
the branch-N maintainer executes a revert of the commit from branch-N and
any children branch-N.M, so long as the change has not been released.