Last time we DISCUSSed EOL of 1.1 was back in November. At that time, a
litany of issues were raised re: 1.2. Have those concerns been addressed?
It seems to me that making this one the last release is too abrupt to folks
tracking Apache. Would be better to give some notice.

Had a nice hallway conversation a couple months back (at PhoenixCon, as it
happens; they feel the pain as well) about our branch situation. I'll let
the others chime in with more details, but the gist as I recall is that we
should be doing more frequent minor releases with fewer patch releases.
This pushes stabilization efforts closer to master and also imposes more
strict stability requirements on big new features before they can be merged
off the feature branch.

The discussion also brought up the notion of an LTS release line. I'm not
sure how this jives with the more fequent minors, but would require some
branch that's so stable that an RM can effectively spin releases blind.