One problem that I see is that it appears we are cutting branches extremely
early.
I'm going to pick on branch-1.4 for a moment. This branch has existed (as
far as I can remember) for at least 3-6 months, yet we still have not had a
1.4.0 release. I understand that releases can take time, but this adds pain
for developers (If I'm developing a new feature or bug fix, do I put it on
branch-1 and it will be pulled into branch-1.4 or do I need to explicitly
put it on branch-1.4?). It seems that this branch should be the same as
branch-1 at the moment.

So my suggestion would be use branch-1 (or branch-2 now) for all
development and only create a branch when the first release of a line is
imminent.

Perhaps I am missing some context, but that is my 2 cents.

Thanks,
Zach