About compatibility, there is one incompatible change about the replication
TableCFs' config. The old config is a string and it concatenate the list of
tables and column families in format "table1:cf1,cf2;table2:cfA,cfB" in
zookeeper for table-cf to replication peer mapping. When parse the config,
it use ":" to split the string. If table name includes namespace, it will
be wrong (See HBASE-11386
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-11386>). It is a problem since
we support namespace (0.98). So HBASE-11393
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-11393> (and HBASE-16653
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-16653>) changed it to a PB
object. When rolling update cluster, you need rolling master first. And the
master will try to translate the string config to a PB object. But there
are two problems.
1. Permission problem. The replication client can write the zookeeper
directly. So the znode may have different owner. And master may don't have
the write permission for the znode. It maybe failed to translate old
table-cfs string to new PB Object. See HBASE-16938
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-16938>
2. We usually keep compatibility between old client and new server. But the
old replication client may write a string config to znode directly. Then
the new server can't parse them.

PS: HBASE-11386 is a problem since 0.98. But there are not too many users