I'm going to do a monthly cadence with 1.4.

It's a bit delayed getting off the ground sadly because I need to address
Francis' feedback and otherwise get RSGroups in before cutting the first RC,
and I was recently out for two weeks on vacation. Soon, though.

Or, we can start spinning minors off of branch-1 with the same cadence: 1.4.0,
then 1.5.0, 1.6.0. Monthly or bi-monthly. Versions are cheap. Releasing minors
would keep branch-1 in a good state and give us more flexibility for making
changes (at the possible detriment of downstreamers we might break with LP
changes, so hopefully we can be better about that). If we go this route I Will
probably also maintain patch versions for 1.4 because our production will move
up on it for a while.

We will have to convince ourselves the issues with locking introduced in 1.3
have settled before moving the stable pointer beyond 1.2.

> On Sep 18, 2017, at 9:07 PM, Nick Dimiduk <ndimi...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Reviving this thread. I know our interest is around branch-2 right now, but
> I think we are close to an actionable resolution here.
>
> I'm a fan of Andrew's proposal of stabilizing our branch-1 for maintenance
> releases, getting away from all the minors if we can. Do we have a quorum
> of folks able and willing to do that work? Seems like it would center
> around the 1.4 release.
>
> If branch-1.1 retires in the next 2-6 months, are we happy with branch-1.2,
> branch-1.3, or branch-1.4 carrying on the monthly cadence? Do we have a
> strong need to continue 1.x once 2.x is out? Are we calling 1.2 the LTS
> with quarterly patch releases, 1.3 aborted on arrival, and pushing folks
> onto 2.x? Do we want to settle on quarterly or bi-annual minor releases and
> only patch monthly or as necessary in between?
>
> Thanks,
> Nick
>
>> On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 8:00 AM, Mike Drob <md...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> One thing that we need to be super careful about after releasing 2.0 is
>> that we don't accidentally introduce any incompatible changes. It's much
>> harder to reason about forwards compatibility than backwards compatibility
>> in my experience. So even though a hypothetical 1.5 would be released after
>> 2.0, users would still have the expectation that a 1.5->2.0 upgrade would
>> be smooth (unless we explicitly message that it isn't but that is a whole
>> new set of problems).
>>
>> Also, to clarify some context here -- what is the difference between an LTS
>> branch and a Stable branch? Don't they convey the same thing to users? As a
>> relative newcomer, I feel like I missed an earlier conversation about this.
>>
>> Mike
>>
>>> On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 10:45 PM, Phil Yang <ud1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Another option is no 1.5/branch-1 any more. What new features we are
>> going
>>> to have in HBase 1.5 (if it will be released)? Backporting from branch-2
>>> branch-1 is not easy, so maybe we will not have any big feature in
>> branch-1
>>> after releasing 1.4. And if we release 1.5 after releasing 2.0, it may
>>> confuse users. So IMO we can focus on branch-2 for new features.
>>>
>>> I think it will be good if we have fixed logic for EOL branches, for
>>> example(just an example, can discuss):
>>> 1:Release a final version and EOL 1.x after we think 1.x+1 is stable.