I don't think the second part of my email ever got addressed.

> I see  "HBase Backup/Restore Phase 3: Security"[1] resolved as "Later"
and claims that it will be implemented in the client, both of which make me
uncomfortable. Security Later is a general bad practice, and it is very
rarely correct to rely on client-side security for anything.
> Is there another issue that covers security? Do we rely completely on
HDFS security here for more than just the DistCP? What kind of testing has
been done with security, do we have assurances that the backups aren't
accidentally exposing tables to the world?

Vlad? Ted? Josh?