> Hi folks,
>
> I've been working on some of the docs relating to the upcoming 2.0 release
> and have struggled to find content around AsyncWAL. My impression is that
> this is a pretty important new feature, yet there's nothing in the ref
> guide about it.
>
> Does it have a different name that I'm not familiar with?
>
> If it's not in the ref guide, should I file a JIRA issue for somebody to
> generate that content? Specific things that I'd be looking for are:
> - How to enable/disable

See HBASE-15536, just like the old way, config hbase.wal.provider

> - How does this impact data durability, MTTR, failover scenarios, etc.

Does not impact these things.

> - How does this impact replication

Ditto.

> - Which configuration knobs exist and when would I want to tune them

Usually you do not need to tune anything...
Before committing HBASE-15536 we have done a lot of performance testings.
There are two configs which may effect performance, one
is hbase.wal.batch.size, and the other
is hbase.wal.async.use-shared-event-loop. But it is hard to say how to tune
them...
And another thing is that, with AsyncFSWAL we can set a lower timeout when
writing WAL, but now it just shares the common dfs configuration. Maybe we
should file an issue for it.

> As a last resort, I can try to dig through RNs in existing issues, but
> that's been pretty hit or miss (mostly miss) for me so far too.
>
> I think at least we need to mention the reason why we introduce AsyncFSWAL
and make it default for 2.0 in our refguide.