On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 10:30 AM Sean Busbey <bus...@apache.org> wrote:

> If the tooling is in one place where will it live?
>
> As an RM I like not needing to checkout more then the repo I'm trying to
> get a release out on.

My initial thinking was all would be in the main repo, but this is contrary
to your above statement. As I see it, everyone working on HBase has a
checkout of the main repo handy, so for releases spun on developer machines
it's "no big deal." If we can ever get to releases spun through automated
environments, it's all scripted anyway and thus "no big deal."

In particular my release machine is slow on disk and so updates to the main
> git repo when trying to release something not in the main repo will be
> painful.

"slow on disk" as in iops rate or "low on disk" as in capacity? Either way,
I'm surprised to hear about this as a barrier. Is there a side-conversation
we can have about trimming the fat out of our repo(s)? Some git maintenance
that can/needs to be done? I was recently shocked by the girth of our repos
-- nearly 0.5g on the main repo and a whopping 4g on the site!

For the most part this is also why I usually manually build RCs
> that I run for the main repo, because I can do a shallow clone of the
> release branch instead of needing to get updates to all the active
> branches.

This makes me sad. Automate more, not less! Altering the automation to make
shallow clones of targeted branches should be simple enough, no?

For testing RCs I guess it's currently all some combination of the
> foundation policies that should be the same and maybe maven profiles?

I agree that codification of foundation policy is the baseline. That would
be enough for me as a first pass. After that, perhaps layers of increasing
sophistication, perhaps repo-dependent. I don't follow your meaning re:
maven profiles.

Iirc there was already some confusion about using the testing script that
> came in the main repo source bundle vs the one on master.

This is a good point. I wonder if `dev-support` should be pruned or purged
from all branches other than master. Maybe the CI related stuff branches
into it's own directory or directories, and we keep everything else limited
to a single canonical copy on master. This strategy would eliminate
confusion re: what is authority in any given situation but perhaps is too
constraining, given the number of active release branches we maintain.

What issue are we trying to solve?

Minimize contributor friction. Make it easy for every subscriber to dev@ to
say "There's a new RC posted and I have an idle machine for an hour / for
the evening / for the weekend, let's just kick the tires." Make it easy for
everyone who's learned the RC tooling on one branch to pinch-hit in on
another branch or another repo. I hear a constant complaint of "scarcity of
volunteer hours" and "I wish we had more people voting in RCs" and "I wish
we could keep a monthly release cadence on every branch we're maintaining".
So I'd like to see a focused effort on maximizing the volunteer human and
machine time that's thrown our way.

Thanks,
Nick