If it was akin to slf4j, that integration has been relatively smooth
for downstream.

log4j effectively being in our public api through configuration
formats has been a maintenance nightmare.

These would effectively be in our java binary API though, right? Would
we gain any meaningful isolation from trouble later on if we had
wrapper objects around the otel stuff?