You chose correctly. Unless you are sure, picking one beyond current RC in
progress is good, because when RMs sweep JIRA just prior to release and
will adjust fix versions as needed, but the reverse is not true... if you
concurrently/independently set a fix version to something not in the RC the
RM will likely not notice.