I have been perusing through the hbase code the last couple of days and
have not been able to find anywhere it seems to reference
io.netty.handler.codec.http2 so it seems it may be in the clear. It would
be awesome to limit hbase-shaded-netty to the actually used modules but I'm
sure that's easier said than done.

Thanks so much for the discussion. I think this gets me what I've been
looking for. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about anything.

Dan