DISCLAIMER: I don't have a patch ready, or even an elegant way mapped out
to achieve this, this is about discussing whether we even want to make
these changes.
These are also substantial changes, but they could be targeted for HBase
3.0.

One issue I have noticed is that we ship test jars and test dependencies in
the assembly.
I can't see anyone using those, but it bloats the assembly and classpath,
and adds unnecessary JARs with possible CVE issues. (for example Kerby
which is a Hadoop minicluster dependency)

My proposal is to exclude the test jars and the test scope dependencies
from the assembly.

The advantages would be:
* Smaller distro size
* Faster startup (this is marginal)
* Less CVE-prone JARs in the binary assemblies

The other issue is that the assembly includes much of the Hadoop
distribution.
The basic assumption in all scripts and instructions is that the node has a
fully configured Hadoop installation, and we include it in the classpath of
HBase.

If that is true, then there is no reason to include Hadoop in the assembly,
HBase and its direct dependencies should be enough.

One could argue that it would simplify the client side, which is true to
some extent (though 95% of the client distro use cases are served better by
simply using hbase-shaded-client).

We could either remove the Hadoop libraries from either or both of the
assemblies unconditionally, or provide two variants for either or both
assemblies, one with Hadoop included, and one without it.
Spark already does this, it has binary distributions both with and without
Hadoop.

The advantages would be:
* Smaller distro size
* Faster startup (this is marginal)
* Less chance of conflicts with the Hadoop jars
* Less CVE-prone JARs in the binary assemblies

Thirdly, we could consider excluding the
full-fat org.apache.hbase:hbase-shaded-client JAR from the Hadoop-less
binary assemblies. It is not used by the assembly, and AFAIK it is not
included in any of the 'hbase classpath' command variants.

This would make sure that no Hadoop libraries are included (even in shaded
form) and would make the HBase distribution fully insulated from Hadoop's
CVE issues.

(The full-fat hbase-shaded-client works best as direct build-time
dependency anyway)

best regards
Istvan