On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 12:46:54PM +0530, Asankha C. Perera wrote:
> When using keep-alive connections, Apache Synapse needs to ensure that a
> connection is not just about to be closed after the expiration of the
> socket timeout. The HttpConnection.isStale() tells of the expensive -
> but guaranteed way to make sure of this, by making a blocking call on
> the socket. However, this is not possible when we are non-blocking, and
> the NHttpConnectionBase does not do this full check.
>
> Is this something that I have missed, or is this something we still have
> to implement?
>
> thanks
> asankha

Hi Asankha

HttpConnection#isStale() is only applicable to blocking connections, as
in the blocking I/O model there is no way to test if a socket is still
valid on both sides other than performing a read operation on that
socket. #isStale() is basically meaningless for NIO connections. I very
much regret not having moved the method to a blocking I/O specific
interface.

Oleg