On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 05:38:17PM +0100, sebb wrote:
> On 26/08/2009, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 01:24:52PM +0100, sebb wrote:
> >  > There seem to be some inconsistencies in the pom files and the project
> >  > layout, at least when used with Eclipse.
> >  >
> >  > The HC "parent" pom has the artifactid "project", and by default the
> >  > Eclipse/Maven 2 plugin will create a project called "project", which
> >  > is obviously a bit ambiguous.
> >  >

> > To me, this is an issue with Eclipse/Maven 2 plugin rather than that with
> > the
> >  HC parent pom. In my opinion the plugin ought not use project's artifactId
> > as
> >  the project name.
> >

> Well, the plugin has got to use something as the default name.

Very true. And what is wrong with using, well, the project name, for instance?

/project/name

> Also, the child poms reference their parent as "../project/pom.xml"
> which means that there has to be a sibling directory called "project",
> regardless of what IDE is used.
>

> >  > The parent pom also refers to the modules:
> >  >
> >  > ../httpcore
> >  > ../httpclient
> >  >
> >  > which is fine, except that their POMs use the artifact ids:
> >  >
> >  > httpcomponents-client
> >  > httpcomponents-core
> >  >
> >  > A partial fix would be to change the parent POM to use the module names:
> >  >
> >  > ../httpcomponents-client
> >  > ../httpcomponents-core
> >  >

> > Are you sure this is going to work?
> >

> I tried it locally, and it worked fine for me.
>
> Note: I use the default project names of
>
> httpcomponents-client
> httpcomponents-core
>
> which means that the parent "project" POM does not work _without_ the change.

OK. Feel free to go ahead and make changes you deem necessary.

> >  > This would obviously affect any existing developer workspaces, but
> >  > should only require a rename of the directories or Eclipse projects,
> >  > so should be relatively easy.
> >  >
> >  > I'm not sure if it would be as easy to change the parent POM
> >  > artifactId, as this might affect existing Maven repos. The name is
> >  > also used in the child poms, which use the relativePath
> >  > "../project/pom.xml" to refer to the parent.
> >  >
> >  > I think it would be useful to change the parent pom to use the
> >  > artifactId "httpcomponents", but I don't know if that would cause
> >  > problems for Maven repos downstream. AFAICT, the child projects don't
> >  > have run-time dependencies on the parent, so I think it would only
> >  > affect a few HC developers.
> >  >

> > This certianly should not affect users of HttpClient. However, I am not
> > sure it
> >  is a problem that needs fixing.
>
> If not, then at least we should document the required directory
> layout, because it's not immediately obvious.

I do not feel very strongly about this problem. If you think it is worth doing,
please do go ahead and change artifactId of the parent pom.

Cheers

Oleg