On Tue, 2014-10-21 at 08:51 -0400, Karl Wright wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>
> Will there be a 4.x release that will deal with RFC 7230?
>
> I am wondering why you propose breaking backwards compatibility at the same
> time you propose adding major new functionality.

I think it was proposed more than three months ago.

If RFC 7230 related changes turn out to be minor there is nothing that
stops us from porting them to 4.4. But I doubt it is going to be the
case.

>  I've looked at the RFC
> and don't offhand see any reason why this should be related.  We've just
> gone through a rather painful API HttpClient upgrade process in ManifoldCF,
> and we have several component libraries (e.g. SolrJ) who haven't even
> gotten fully to the "builder" model yet.  By tying together new
> functionality with a brand-new API, essentially everyone has to start over
> only a few months after the last update was complete.

APIs of blocking I/O components is unlikely to change much. NIO side of
things is more likely to change. Moreover, it will take a considerable
while before 5.0 supersedes 4.4 as a stable GA release. There should be
enough time for downstream projects to adapt.

Oleg