On Tue, 2017-05-30 at 11:34 -0700, Gary Gregory wrote:
> On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 9:13 AM, Michael Osipov <micha...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Am 2017-05-29 um 22:54 schrieb Gary Gregory:
> >
> > > On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 12:54 PM, Philippe Mouawad <
> > > philippe.moua...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello,

> > > I'm not a fan of that one. That seems like:
> > >
> > > - a bottleneck for all waiting for the RM to merge.
> > > - an additional burden to the RM
> > >
> > > The text is in contradiction of itself IMO: While "Guidlines" is
> > > in the
> > > title, the boy includes "every committer must abide..." which is
> > > does not
> > > feel like a "guideline". As soon as you enter the "MUST"
> > > territory, do you
> > > need to define what happens if you do not "abide" by the "MUSTs"?
> > >
> > > If these are really guidelines, then all of this is the preferred
> > > way but
> > > all committers are allowed to diverge to get things done.
> > >

> > Gary, why didn't you speak up earlier?
>

> Obviously, I was was busy.
>

> > I made serveral attempts for the points?
> >
> > We can rename it to Git Rules if you want, so this will be
> > mandatory for
> > all committers. Btw, you recommended to rename to Git Guidelines...
>

> Changing the title to "Guidelines" while keeping the intent of strict
> rules
> is misleading. My hope was that my point about using the term
> 'guidelines'
> would trickle down to the actual text, which was obvious to me, and I
> was
> clearly off by not stating my intentions more clearly. I do not
> believe
> that more process and stricter rules will benefit this project,
> especially
> by creating a bottleneck around the RM.  But hey, that's just me.
> Since you
> have done (AFAICT) and are currently are doing the bulk of the heavy
> lifting, I am willing to working within your worldview. Sure, I'd
> like to
> see my contributions flow (pun intended) more fluidly (I'm on fire
> today)
> into the code base, but I am happy to live within the confines this
> our
> community defines.
>
> Gary

Gary, Michael, et al

What if we relax this statement a little by saying that 'a committer
prepares a dev branch, asks RM for a review, and if RM fails to respond
 or merge the branch within a, say, 48h window, merges the dev branch
to release branches'?

We also say that committers should follow these guidelines to avoid
conflicts instead of abiding them as strict rules?

Those guidelines that should be strict can be expressed as 'MUST avoid
merge commit', and so on.

Oleg

PS: this is why I prefer writing code.