On 28 June 2017 at 09:32, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2017-06-28 at 00:49 +0100, sebb wrote:
>> It's only Maven projects that have to be run with Java 8 on Jenkins.
>> And this only affects the Maven framework.
>>
>> Compilation and testing can still be done with earlier Java versions.
>>
>> Commons has lots of components that target Java 6 or even 5, and they
>> work fine with current Jenkins (which needs Java 7).
>>

> It does not look that way to me. I understand one can still spawn any
> arbitrary process with Jenkins as a job but this is not the same as
> having full Maven project support.

Commons uses profiles (defined in the parent pom) to specify the JDK
used for compile and test.
For example, Commons Net builds fine but requires 1.6
It runs as a Maven project, not freestyle.
The job uses JDK 8, but compile/test use 1.6

I probably don't have time to look at this today, but I may have time tomorrow.

> ---
> [httpcomponents-client-4.5.x] $ /home/jenkins/tools/java/latest1.6/bin/java
> -Xmx2g -Xms256m -cp
> /home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/maven33-agent.jar:/home/jenkins/tools/maven/apache-maven-3.3.9/boot/plexus-classworlds-2.5.2.jar:/home/jenkins/tools/maven/apache-maven-3.3.9/conf/logging
>  jenkins.maven3.agent.Maven33Main
> /home/jenkins/tools/maven/apache-maven-3.3.9
> /home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/slave.jar
> /home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/maven33-interceptor.jar
> /home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/maven3-interceptor-commons.jar 39826
> Native maven support requires Java 1.7 or later, but this Maven is using
> /usr/local/asfpackages/java/jdk1.6.0_45-64/jre
> Please use the freestyle project.

For the next release of Jenkins, AFAICT it will try to find a JDK8 to
run Maven projects.
So the job will run, but not using the expected JDK.