On Mon, Dec 30, 2019 at 12:11 PM Michael Osipov <micha...@apache.org> wrote:

> Am 2019-12-30 um 16:56 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:
> > On Mon, 2019-12-30 at 01:03 +0100, Michael Osipov wrote:
> >> Folks,
> >>
> >> just noticed HttpMultipartMode which mentions: /** RFC 822, RFC
> >> 2045,
> >> RFC 2046 compliant */
> >>
> >> But RFC 822 has been superseded by RFC 2822, superseded by RFC 5322
> >> and
> >> updated by RFC 6854.
> >> So have 2045 and 2046 updated by others.
> >>
> >> Also BROWSER_COMPATIBLE IE 5.0 and earlier? Is this mode still
> >> relevant?
> >>
> >> Would be nice of someone can drop off a comment or better yet update
> >> docs if code has been modified.
> >>

> > The HttpMultipartMode javadocs correctly reflect the actual state of
> > MIME specification conformance.
> >
> > HttpMultipart has been built and reviewed against RFC 822, 2045 and
> > 2046. Any reference to newer specifications would be factually wrong
> > and deceitful.
> >
> > What I did thought to improve and simplify the API was removing
> > references to any specific RFCs from the HttpMultipartMode enum values
> > and replacing them with more neutral LEGACY, STRICT and EXTENDED:
> >

> https://github.com/apache/httpcomponents-client/commit/1f2d7d7e85679f37b9be2bff80ac0dbc46405376
> >
> > If at any point we upgrade to newer specifications we would not need to
> > change the enum itself.
>
> Ah, thanks for the enlightment.
>
> Do you think removing explicit RFC numbers helps the user better to
> understand what a mode supports? I am currently looking at the RFCs
> myself for an inhouse REST API and just having abstract defitions is a
> bit too far away for my taste.
>
> @Gary, what is your opinion.

I think the Javadoc should document what the code does now. If it
implements RFC n, it should say that "I implement RFC n". If there exists
RFC n+1, n+2 and so on, then the Javadoc can either say nothing more or
state that it knows about newer RFCs but does not implement them. Sometimes
less is more.

Gary