Hi -

I am the Apache Knox PMC chair and a committer on Hadoop and other
ecosystem projects.

FYI, Apache Knox is indeed dependent on SPNEGO in httpclient.
Knox is a Hadoop ecosystem gateway and as part of the trusted proxy or
proxyuser pattern within Hadoop it requires all proxies that dispatch
requests on behalf of other users to authenticate via Kerberos/SPNEGO.
Knox is not the only proxyuser in the ecosystem and likely not the only one
that is leveraging HttpClient this way.
It is used within a huge number of Hadoop deployments both on-prem and in
the cloud and SPNEGO is critical to the security of these deployments.

We are currently on 4.5.13 for HttpClient.

A backward compatible path forward here is going to be needed and I'd be
happy to help out however I can.

thanks,

--larry