HttpClient 5.4 is going to be the most feature rich minor release
probably since 4.3. There are plenty of small and not so small features
and improvements in it. Overall it is going to be a great release.

It will likely take a few more months to stablize it but somethime
around mid Summer we should be able to release the first GA. That is
the plan.

However beyond 5.4 our development plans are unclear. We can settle for
no particular plan and simply react to feature requests from our users
or we could invest some efforts and time proactively. Both approaches
are perfectly valid given the scarcity of project resources.

If we choose a more proactive stance there are several potential
features we could work on

core:

* Better / more efficient implementation of channel (socket) timeout
handling in the async i/o reactor. What we currently have is quite bad
for a large number of concurrent sessions

* CONNECT method support and connection tunneling for HTTP/2

* HTTP/2 for the classic transport (now with introduction of virtual
threads (fibers) in Java 21 we could revisit the issue of the classic
i/o model not working well for multiplexing protocols and try to solve
the problem by utilizing two fibers per HTTP/2 data stream)

* JRE level upgrade

client:

* Multipart entity support for the async transport

* Transparent content compression / decompression for the async
transport

* Query timeout / request deadline support

* JRE level upgrade

The real 1'000'000 USD question for us as a project however what the
hell we are going to do about HTTP/3?

HTTP/3 and QUIC dwarfs everytihng we have done so far in terms of
complexity. Do we have resources to pull it off? Do we attempt to build
our own QUIC layer or do we wait until QUIC is supported and provided
by JRE? Is QUIC even in scope for us?

The subject of HTTP/3 support is so big that it probably deserves a
separate discussion.

What do you, guys, think? How shall we proceed?

Oleg