To reiterate, one thing I want to avoid is having hive rely on code that
sits in several tiny silos across Apache projects, or Apache Licensed but
not ASF projects. Hive is a mature TLP with a large number of committers
and it would not be a good situation if often work gets bottle necked
because changes had to be made across two projects simultaneously to commit
a feature. Especially if the two projects do not share the same committer
list.

I think if could be done perfectly things like ORC, Parquet, whatever would
be <provided> scope dependencies, meaning the project can be built without
a particular piece but as a hole the project still works. (That might be