I actually have a different thought to share along the same line.

ORC is not a subproject in Hive. I'm not sure if it's the best we can do by
making a surgery on Hive in order to make ORC a TLP, Not only may this
bring instability to Hive, but also it also makes Hive depend an incubating
project. Not every project graduates(, though I do wish ORC a success as
TLP), some of them fail.

Instead, I like the idea of forking Hive ORC as TLP and Hive keeps whatever
it has. This way, the new project can do whatever it wants, and Hive
community probably doesn't care and has no saying to it. Once ORC as a TLP
graduates, Hive community can decide whether to go along with it and if so
how to integrate with it.

I think this will subside the current controversy, help ORC proceed faster
as a TLP, and leave the decision to the near future.

Thanks,
Xuefu