I am not sure I am on the fence with this.

On Sat, Jul 1, 2017 at 6:38 AM, Chaoyu Tang <ctang...@gmail.com> wrote:

> +1. A nice move which might help HMS to be more easily adopted by more
> other components.
>
> On Sat, Jul 1, 2017 at 12:41 AM, Sushanth Sowmyan <khorg...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > +1

> > > Yes, it certainly needs a new name. I'd like to suggest Riven.
> > >
> > > .. Owen

I am -1, and I offer this -1 with the hope of being convinced otherwise

"By making it a separate project we will enable other projects to join us in
innovating on the metastore. "

The relevant questions I have are,

"What is stopping others from joining us now?"
"What does being a TLP do for us that we do not have now?"

I see a lot of downsides:
1) We have to maintain two sites
2) we have to maintain two committer lists

A large problem I see is this: Hive is already being pulled in too many
different directions. There is some grumbling about the state of
hive-on-spark.

Most importantly, our release process seems 'injured' by too many branches
going off in different ways. If the metastore lives outside of Hive we are
going to compound this issue. I would strongly suggest we do not undertake
this until we can at least turn out 2 usable releases in a 6 month period.