Hi Ed,

I downloaded the latest stable binary ant from apache.org unpacked it into
> a directory and added it to my path. I never have needed any optional
> packages up until now, but I that it is not a big deal.

Which Ant target were you running when you encountered this error?
Also, what happens if you pass the '-nouserlib' argument to Ant?

I think the hive
> thrift server not starting is. Many people use that.

I agree. It looks like the problem you're running into with hiveserver is a
result of the wrong version of thrift appearing first on the classpath. Can
you please run the following command to dump the classpath and report back
with the results?

% hive -e 'set system:java.class.path'

Thanks.

Carl