Quick update: Ed and I chatted on IRC and determined that HiveServer
problem was a result of some thrift-0.5.0 JARs that he copied onto his
classpath. Also, the build failure was resolved by using Ant 1.8.2 and
setting ANT_HOME.

As for the configuration problems mentioned by Jakob and Ashutosh, it looks
like these are resolved by the patch for HIVE-2643. I will cut another RC
after this gets committed/backported.

Thanks.

Carl