Hey All,

We didn't made a release for a long time now; (3.1.2 was released on 26 August 2019) - and I think because we didn't made that many branch-3 releases; not too many fixes were ported there - which made that release branch kinda erode away.

We have a lot of new features/changes in the current master.
I think instead of aiming for big feature-packed releases we should aim for making a regular release every few months - we should make regular releases which people could install and use.
After all releasing Hive after more than 2 years would be big step forward in
itself alone - we have so many improvements that I can't even count...

But I may know not every aspects of the project / states of some internal
features - so I would like to ask you:
What would be the bare minimum requirements before we could release the current
master as Hive X?

There are many nice-to-have-s like:
* hadoop upgrade
* jdk11
* remove HoS or MR
* ?
but I don't think these are blockers...we can make any of these in the next
release if we start making them...

cheers,
Zoltan