Hi All!

A purely technical question: what will the SNAPSHOT version become after
releasing Hive 4.0.0? I think this is important, as it defines and reflects
the future release plans.

Currently, it's 4.0.0-SNAPSHOT, I guess it's since Hive 3.0 + branch-3.
Hive is an evolving and super-active project: if we want to make regular
releases, we should simply release Hive 4.0 and bump pom to 4.1.0-SNAPSHOT,
which clearly says that we can release Hive 4.1 anytime we want, without
being frustrated about "whether we included enough cool stuff to release
5.0".

This also means there should *not* be a branch-4 after releasing Hive 4.0
and let that diverge (and becomes the next, super-ignored branch-3), only
when we end up bringing a minor backward-incompatible thing that needs a
4.0.x, and when it happens, we'll create *branch-4.0 *on demand. For me, a
branch called *branch-4.0* doesn't imply either I can expect cool releases
in the future from there or the branch is maintained and tries to be in
sync with the *master*.

Regards,
Laszlo Bodor

2022. febr. 8., K, 16:42):