Hi team,

We have been trying to fix Hive on Spark test failures for a long time. As of
now, branch-3 has less than 12 test failures (whose fix have not been
identified). 8 of them are related to Hive on Spark. I had mailed about the
failures in my previous mail threads. Thanks to Vihang for working on them as
well. But we have not been able to identify the root cause till now. These
fixes can be tracked in the following tickets : [HIVE-27087] Fix
TestMiniSparkOnYarnCliDriver test failures on branch-3 - ASF JIRA
(apache.org)<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-27087> and [HIVE-26940]
Backport of HIVE-19882 : Fix QTestUtil session lifecycle - ASF JIRA
(apache.org)<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-26940>

Until we have a green branch-3, we cannot go ahead to push new features for the
Hive-3.2.0 release. This is kind of a blocker for this release. Already
bringing the test fixes to the current state took more than 2 months.

I wanted to bring up a proposal to deprecate Hive on Spark from branch-3
altogether. This would ensure that branch-3 is aligned with the master as done
in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-26134. Just wanted to have a vote
on this in parallel working on the test fixes. If we have the approval from the
community, we can deprecate it altogether.

Please feel free to suggest any concerns or suggestions you have. Also, I
welcome any possible fix suggestion for the test failures.

Thanks,
Aman.