The 4.0.0 release was quite recent so I assume we don't have major
breaking changes in there at the moment so we could cut the release
directly from master as soon as we want. HIVE-28166 is already merged
so we could aim to cut 4.1.0 as soon as HIVE-28190 goes in.

The experience shows that we are not very good at maintaining multiple
release branches so in general I would prefer to focus on releasing
only from master for the time being. Hive is a quite mature project so
in principle breaking changes should be rather rare which gives us a
bit of margin. I think a scheme where we backport less and release
more is preferable.

Best,
Stamatis